maybe it's rapture
Einstein the fish got a new lease on life after his owner made me him a life jacket that allowed him to float properly after he was crippled.
Guys there are people starving on the streets all over the world but this is what we spend our time doing instead.
(Source: did-yuo-kno, via molegan)
After 30 Days of Being Vegan
(This is like 5 days late but w/e I been busy)
Things I miss the most:
- Fucken chocolate. Holy shit. I can’t even describe to you how much I miss chocolate. Mostly, I think, because it was a loss that I was not prepared for, since I forgot there is milk in it since I’m an idiot. But it is the one thing for which there is no vegan substitute. None. I miss Nutella so much you guys. So much. Dark chocolate doesn’t do anything for me, I need the milk stuff, and there’s just nothing else that satiates that craving. Do you know how terrible my PMS this month was? Like absolutely the goddamn worst.
- Second most: eggs. My breakfasts are so boring. I don’t have the time or the energy to make tofu scramble, and I’m so sick of oatmeal and cereal and fruit. Every morning I wake up and I’m like “fuck this, I’m done, I want eggs,” and then I have to talk myself down from it. Every morning! I don’t miss meat as much as I miss eggs, it’s kind of weird.
- I now take my coffee black with 4 brown sugars and it’s fine. I might even kind of like it better this way. I mean, yeah, that’s probably a lot of sugar to be consuming every day, but considering I can’t eat chocolate and I literally don’t eat sugar in any other direct form, I don’t think it’s too bad.
Now, the bad:
- Within the first week I started getting brutal headaches, and they haven’t really stopped. I looked it up and most things seemed to point to protein and iron deficiencies, so I tried to up my intake of both but it hasn’t made a significant difference. They seem to have subsided for the most part, and now coffee or water seem to do the trick when they come back, but they’re still pretty awful sometimes. I guess it’s a detox? I don’t know, it’s a pretty long damn detox if that’s what it is. I usually get one a day, of varying intensity, and of varying length. One a day is too many.
- Definitely fucked up on not getting enough protein and/or iron in the first week and a half. One week after starting, I went to the gym at night, got home, didn’t have the appetite to finish my dinner, went to bed, and could barely make it out after 6 hours of sleep (which isn’t a LOT of sleep, but definitely pretty standard for me). I was exhausted. The next night I got 8 hours of sleep, but felt even worse getting out of bed in the morning, and I sat in class with a pounding headache, feeling so weak I thought I was going to fall over and/or cry. It was brutal. I felt shaky and weak and awful and ugh. After that I started to be a little bit more mindful of my daily intakes, and haven’t gotten that bad since, but I still do feel weird and weak from time to time.
- We’ll keep this brief: the gas. Oh my God. Why. Dear God why. It is honestly absurd. So gassy. So so gassy, all the fucking time. Why. How. I just want it to stop. Please. Why.
- Sometimes I still feel weak and weird and generally out-of-it in the mornings. It usually doesn’t last, especially past the first cup of coffee. But like, whereas I used to have a 2 hour buffer from waking up to the point where my brain was like “hey let’s get some coffee up in here what are you doing do you want a headache or what”, now I feel like it’s been shortened to 1 hour. IS THAT A WEIRD OBSERVATION?! Most definitely. But this is how I function.
How I feel overall:
- Honestly? About the same. I wouldn’t say I have more energy, my skin is not any clearer, I don’t sleep any better, I wouldn’t say my mood has improved. Considering the negatives - the headaches, the gas, the cravings - I’m not really sure if I consider veganism “worth it”. And I’m surprised by this - I was looking forward to the positives. Maybe it hasn’t been long enough. Maybe I’ll notice once I start eating animals again and notice the drop in mood, energy, etc. This happens to me with regular gym attendance - aside from the immediate endorphin rush, I don’t feel any better overall until I stop going and realize that I can’t function after less than 6 hours of sleep anymore and I hate everyone and everything is the worst.
Also, it is easier than I thought. Seriously. Maybe it’s because I know I’m only doing it for a temporary period (it’s probably because of that - if I knew I was giving up chocolate for good I would probably… just not be vegan), maybe it’s because I already knew, more or less, how to cook vegetarian (at least), but I haven’t found it to be a huge lifestyle change for the most part. Like, I can still eat crap - I can still sit down with a bag of chips and have a ball whenever the mood strikes. Which I do. Like once a week. Whatever, don’t judge me, you eat baby animals.
It HAS made going out to eat a lot more difficult. But I’ve also found that restaurants are pretty accommodating, though I do frequently feel like an asshole. But like, big-ups to the lady at Thai Express who, after I asked for my vegetarian pad thai without egg, pointed out that there was fish sauce in the pad thai sauce mix. I asked if I could get it without the fish sauce, she said yes, I gave her a high five. She didn’t have to point that out, but she clearly got the gist of my dietary restrictions.
I still have a few weeks to go (turns out Orthodox Lent is 7 weeks, not 40 days like all the other damn Christian Lents. Why is this the worst strand of Christianity? Where did they get 7 weeks from? Is it not bad enough that we have to STAND for our 2 hours of church service? Is it not bad enough that our Lent already involves giving up way more than other Lents? WHY SEVEN WEEKS. WHY.), but at this point I gotta say: I respect and support vegetarianism, but veganism might be taking it a little too far. Maybe I’m just saying that because my need for chocolate overrides my desire to give a fuck about anything else.
That said, will I do this next year? Definitely. Will I incorporate vegetarianism more into my diet? Absolutely. Is Earth Balance way better than real butter? Hell yeah.
PS. I cheated once and had steak for dinner (what? go big or go home), and the next day I got my period a whole week early, so God exists and he’s a dick with a pretty dece sense of humour.
PPS. Joking about the God thing.
The news is so confused right now. They don’t know whether to humanize them as misled white boys or treat them like middle-eastern terrorists.
People are strange: They are constantly angered by trivial things, but on a major matter like totally wasting their lives, they hardly seem to notice.
— Charles Bukowski
(Source: theburnthatkeepseverything, via benedictsmith)
if you use okcupid there’s a new browser extension to keep the creeps away!
it’s amazing and you should download it
you should really reblog and share this it could actually save lives
[trigger warning: the questions are pretty graphic and depict sexual assault and violence against children]
This should be a permanent feature of the site. I love how it’s so innocent - “oh hey there, just a quick warning that this person MAY BE a sexual predator/total scumbag. Just putting it out there! Have a nice day.”